1 April 2007

White chocolate coconut citrus cake: Future undecided

Was talking to a friend on the phone last night for over an hour. Talked about how we hated writing this immunology lab report that's due in three days, how we were frustrated by the vague standard set the examiners, and how we were not sure about the future. She asked me, are you gonna do your honours in chemistry? She's the only one who'd ever ask me that question, 'cos not many people know me that well to realise that I'm actually doing two majors, biology and chemistry. Although only of the few reasons that made me stick with chemistry is the friendly lecturers and the easy marks.

Her question really got me think. I've been predispose myself in the thought of doing biology honours so much that I even forgot I still have an alternative. Why can't I do my honours in chemistry. I've been enjoy it so much. I love drawing arrows of the moving electrons. I love the feeling of a chemistry lab full of clean glasswears. I've even done a research project in the research school and it turned out to be my best research experience ever. So yes, why can't I do my honours in chemistry?

The boyfriend's excited about the idea, 'cos it means if I ever decided to do a chemistry honours, most probably, I'll end up working in his lab. How good would that be.

That's what I kept thinking while I was making this cake. Is doing biology something I really like or something I thought I'd be really like? Can I take on the challenges in chemistry? What kind of job will I be doing after I graduate? Is this better for me? What exactly does the future hold for me?

In the end, the cake was ready, with a thick layer of beautiful coconut-flavoured icing, but I still hadn't got the answers to all those questions. I decided not to worry about it now. Afterall, problems will work themselves out and everthing will be just fine.

White Chocolate Coconut Citrus Cake

Adapted from Australian Women's Weekly March 2007

Cake
250g butter
180g white chocolate, chopped coarsely (I used Nestlé White Melts)
1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
3/4 cup (180ml) milk
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
2 tsp finely grated lime rind
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour

Coconut Ganache
140 ml can coconut cream
360g white chocolate, chopped finely
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tsp finely grated lime rind

  1. For the cake, preheat the oven to 160 C. Grease a deep 22cm cake tin; line base with baking paper.

  2. Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, milk and rinds in a medium saucepan; whisk over low heat until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool for 15 min.

  3. Gradually whisk in eggs and sifted flours; pour mixture into prepare cake tin. Bake for about 1 h 20 min or until tester comes out clean. Cool cake in tin.

  4. For the ganache, bring coconut cream to the boil in a small saucepan. Combine chocolate and rinds in a medium bowl. Add hot coconut cream; whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cover bowl; refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for about 30 min or until coconut ganache is spreadable.

  5. Spread cocnut ganache over top and sides of the cake.

P.S. The cake was just-the-right-amount moist and mild, not as sugary as I thought it would be (which is great!). The coconut ganache was a beauty. I've mentally classified it as one of the "keeper recipes". Thinking of making some more for cupcakes!

No comments: