16 February 2007

Sugar High Friday #28: Sweet Seduction


Valentine's Raspberry Flan, originally uploaded by cherryleader.

I got back from holiday on the Valentine's Day. The boyfriend and I had been apart from each other for three weeks and we've been missing each other so much that one more day of waiting would probably drive both of us nuts. I arrived at the coach interchange at 4:30pm. Before I even walked out of the coach, I could see him standing right there, holding a big bunch of flowers, looking anxiously. I jumped out of the coach and almost rudely ran through the people in between of us. Finally the both of us held each other in the arms tightly, grinning like idiots.

I've been planing making this flan weeks before the day. But I didn't get the chance to make it on that day. For dinner, we went to Tosolini's and sat at a table near the street, watching couples dressed nicely walking by. We each had a Roman style pizza square, and shared a piece of Tiramisu in the end. The weather was nice and cool, with a little of breeze once in a while to add a bit chill into the air. The night was almost perfect.

Except for a piece of Valentine's Day baking goods freshly out of the oven. So when I finally got the chance to bake, I made this Valentine's Raspberry Flan. I saw the recipe a few months ago in this website. I didn't do much changes to the original recipe, except for using all raspberries rather than raspberries and strawberries.



I told the boyfriend that I baked a Sweet Seduction for him in the kitchen. Half an hour later he texted me: I had a piece of the thingy, and I'm successfully seduced.

Valentine's Berry Flan

CRUST
1 1/4 cups plain flour
2 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1/2 cup butter, softened
FILLING
8 oz / 250g cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 cupsfresh red berries
GLAZE (optional)
1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam (I used raspberry jam)
1 tbsp lemon juice

  1. CRUST: Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Combine flour and icing sugar.Cream butterand gradually blend in flour mixture. Work with hands to form a smooth dough. Pressevenly on bottom and sides of 9" (23 cm) fluted pan with removable bottom; prick withfork and chill 15 minutes.Bake for 7-10 minutes or until light golden. Cool thoroughly in pan on rack.

  2. FILLING: Beat cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla together until smooth.Whip creamuntil stiff peaks form and fold into cheese mixture. Spread evenly in baked crust andcover attractively with fruit, making a heart shape.

  3. GLAZE (optional): If desired mix jam and lemon juice together until smooth and brushover fruit.

Serve flan immediately at room temperature for maximum flavour.

Big thanks to Jasmine at Confessions of a Cardamom Addict for hosting this SHF, and Jennifer at Domestic Goddess for creating the original SHF.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow that is a fantastic looking flan babe, well done.